LEFT HANDED POETS CORNER

A sharing of daily poetry by this left-handed Norske.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

MOTHER

MOTHER



Mother, Oh, Mother, why can’t you stay
forever and ever, just as you were?
Lively and full of laughter and song,
Dancing and prancing, always so strong.

Mother Oh Mother, why can’t you be,
with us forever, so happy and free?
Cooking and sewing, for one and all,
Donuts and quilts, love from the soul.

Mother, Oh, Mother, my memory is clear,
The hardships you suffered, year after year.
The sacrifices given for nine little boys,
White shirts, pressed pants, for church on Sunday’s.


Mother, Oh, Mother, full of God’s love,
I give thanks to God, for his gifts from above.
Seventy plus years of grace, what a life,
Fifty plus years as husband and wife.


Mother, Oh Mother, our joys will not end,
God promised us eternal life up in heaven.
A mansion I go to prepare for thee,
Mother, your mansion for all eternity.

Mother, Oh, Mother, smile every day,
Share your hope with all that you see.
God’s plan is hard, for our human minds,
Our good is promised, pain intertwined.

Mother, Oh, Mother, keep hold of your faith,
Ask God for his blessing, to keep you each day.
Trust him as we know, you always have done,
Keep trusting, Oh, Mother, until you are home.

Mother, Oh, Mother, you are so loved,
By Dad whom God joined you as one,
By sons and daughter-in-laws one and all,
By Grand and Great-Grandchildren,
some big and some small.


Neil I. Lillo
October 28, 1988

My mother met her Savior on February 9, 1990

3 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Marge said...

    Neil,
    This daughter-in-law loved your mother dearly and I still miss her, even after all these years. I wish you a blessed birthday of your own!
    Marge

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger norskeneil said...

    Marge; I know you did and we were so blessed that you and your family chose to house and care for my parents in their time of need. What a sacrifice--what a blessing. I will never forget that Christian kindness you bestowed on Mom and Dad. May the Lord bless you always.

    Love
    Neil

     
  • At 10:52 PM , Blogger Dee Starr said...

    The smell of baking bread wafts through the air as I sit at the table and draw. I feel safe here, safe to be me. I can share my thoughts dreams and worries. Grandma listens, quick with advice, and a laugh that could melt any heart. Can we have buttermilk pancakes tomorrow? Can we go looking for rocks? Can I pick strawberries in the garden? Can I rearrange the birds...again? What do you need help with?

    My grandmother taught me through her life that I should work hard, love strong, laugh long, play with my children, love the Lord, honor my husband, cook a great meal, and follow my dreams.

    I miss her so much, still to this day. She was a rock for me when I was a child. She inspired me to realize the strength that a woman can hold, even in the face of adversity. I honor her memory.

    What a wonderful poem Neil. Thank you for writing this. It even allowed a tear or two to fall. I was never able to cry when she died. I'm not sure why, perhaps it was disbelief that she was gone. Perhaps it was comfort knowing that the vibrant amazing woman that I knew wasn't in pain any more. What a phenomenal woman! We are so lucky to have been blessed by having her in our lives.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home